TOKOYO: The Tower of Perpetuity [1 article]” href=”https://www.gematsu.com/games/tokoyo-the-tower-of-perpetuity”>TOKOYO: The Tower of Perpetuity will exit Early Access and launch for Switch [11,497 articles]” href=”https://www.gematsu.com/platforms/nintendo/switch”>Switch and PC [15,004 articles]” href=”https://www.gematsu.com/platforms/pc”>PC via Steam on June 2 for $11.99, publisher PLAYISM [166 articles]” href=”https://www.gematsu.com/companies/playism”>PLAYISM and developer // //commentout [4 articles]” href=”https://www.gematsu.com/companies/commentout”>commentout announced. It will support English, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese language options.
The Side-Scrolling [104 articles]” href=”https://www.gematsu.com/genres/side-scrolling”>side-scrolling action Roguelike [33 articles]” href=”https://www.gematsu.com/genres/roguelike”>roguelike game first launched in Early Access for PC via Steam on November 7, 2020. The Switch version was previously announced alongside iOS and Android versions, which were not mentioned in today’s press release. A PlayStation 4 version was also announced before that.
Here is an overview of the game, via PLAYISM:
You find yourself trapped in a mysterious tower—one that transforms its very structure every 24 hours.
The legacy of your epic struggle shall be carved into the hearts of those who challenge you like an epitaph. Surpass countless poor fallen souls and make your way to the heretofore unseen top!
TOKOYO: The Tower of Perpetuity is a 2D social roguelike game set in the titular Tower of Perpetuity, filled with savage monsters and traps, which is procedurally generated every 24 hours. The title has been created by solo indie developer Saebashi under his personal doujin circle //commentout.
In sharp contrast to the overall cute character and game design, the gameplay is laced with challenging boss fights and platforming sequences to put your skills to the test.
The title has garnered attention from various outlets, even from an early stage in development, and has received the following awards and nominations:
- Xiamen International Animation Festival 2019 Game Contest, Won Best Game Application Award.
- Tokyo Game Show 2018, Nominated for the Dengeki PlayStation Indie Game Award.
- Tokyo Game Show 2017, Nominated for the Dengeki PlayStation Indie Game Category.
The five playable characters you can play as in TOKOYO: The Tower of Perpetuity do not have basic attacks. However, each character has a different powerful skill that can be used, but it comes with a cooldown. Therefore, players need to be able to adeptly dodge and utilize items while the skill is on cooldown.
- Maid from Hell: Cocoa – Skill: Knives spin around the character acting as a shield that also damages enemies
- Automated Cleaning Robot: Kanae – Skill: Fires a continuous stream of fire in all directions
- Sickly Dragon Girl: Shippo de Tail – Skill: Fires a continuous laser that has a long reach
- Fox Spirit Kunoichi: Kukuri – Skill: Fires a bunch of homing cross-shaped shuriken
- Thousand Year Old Shapeshifting Fox: Imibi – Skill: Puts up a barrier that attacks enemies that breach it
- An Auto-Generated Dungeon that Changes Daily – This 2D Action [375 articles]” href=”https://www.gematsu.com/genres/action”>action game is set in TOKOYO—the Tower of Perpetuity—a constantly changing and devilishly deceptive auto-generated dungeon crawling tower with fiendish monsters and brutal traps. The Tower of Perpetuity is automatically regenerated by the game server every 24 hours (in real-world time), allowing for players around the world to take on the same dungeon each day, and for one day only. Different traps and gimmicks await you each day, and you must compete against other players while battling your way through. The dungeon contains various differing branches, offering a certain degree of free choice and randomization.
- Light Social Elements – Social features utilizing the network have been implemented in the game, in which a gravestone will be placed where a player meets their end, appearing in other players’ games along with their “relics” and “last words.” Take advantage of the different special skills afforded to each character and compete with other players as you struggle to surpass the countless bodies of your less fortunate rivals and fight your way through the impregnable dungeon.
- Character Customization (Only Available on Steam) – Freely edit and customize skins for your character which will then appear in the game. You can even add opening and ending stories and dialogue to your character to enhance their narratives and personality! Take on the role of your favorite character and dominate TOKOYO: Tower of Perpetuity!
- Official Custom Characters Coming Soon! – We have collaborated with popular illustrators, streamers, and game designers to bring you custom characters that you can play alongside the five existing playable characters. We will be implementing them into the game at a later date so please stay tuned!
Steam Full Version
The Early Access Steam version will receive the following updates via full version patches.
- True Boss implemented.
- True Ending implemented.
- Achievements implemented.
- Mod features enhanced (opening story added, etc.).
- Collection elements added.
- New map gimmicks.
- Practice mode with challenging bosses.
- Significant increase in auto-generated variations (over 300!).
Watch a new trailer below. View a new set of screenshots at the gallery.
#TOKOYO #Tower #Perpetuity #launches #June #Switch #Gematsu